Duck Fat Roast Potatoes
1 Large floury potato per person peeled only
50g Duck Fat
1 Sprig rosemary
1 Sprig thyme
1 Garlic clove Skin on
• Place a pan of salted water on the stove on a high heat
• Cut the potato into wedge shape pieces
• Rapidly boil the potatoes, the ration of water to potatoes should be high so you are only cooking the outside of the potato not the inside. This will ensure we get an crispy out side.
• Once the outside of the potatoes are a little furry, drain into a colander and shake a little to rough up the edges.
• Heat a thick bottomed frying pan, add the fat
• Once smoking add the potatoes, largest flat side down first
• Colour and turn until covered all over, add the herbs and garlic and finish in the oven.
2 medium carrots cut once in half length ways
4 round shallots peeled and cut in half
4 Brussels Sprouts cut in half
2 cloves garlic skin on
2 sprigs thyme
Small amount extra virgin oil
Nob of butter
• Wash all veggies
• Dry thoroughly and mix with the oil, season and add the thyme
• Place in a roasting tin, in the center we will be placing the chicken on top.
• After the chicken has roasted and been removed, spread the veggies out in a thin layer and add the butter, mix well
• Return to the oven on maximum heat and roast until tender and nicely coloured.
Chicken Brine (The brine will do 4 chickens)
675g Table Salt
850g Brown Sugar
300ml Olive Oil
900ml Soy Sauce
10 Bay Leaves
1 Bunch Thyme
3 Lemons Sliced
15 Cloves Garlic Sliced
• Bring to the boil, boil for 5 minutes then remove from the heat & allow to cool.
• Chill in the refrigerator, do not put the chicken in until the mixture is below 4c
• Submerge the chicken in the brine and chill for 4 hours.
• Lightly wash the Chicken, making sure its clean from brine
Sage, Thyme, Garlic, ½ a Lemon & Bay Leaves to stuff in each Chicken.
Smoked Streaky Bacon Sliced
• We will use the vegetables as a trivet for the Chicken
• The brined chicken must be room temperature and trussed before cooking.
• Season the cavity and stuff with the herbs, garlic, bay and lemon
• Season the outside of the chicken and rub the breasts and thighs in a little butter.
• Lay four slices of bacon over the breasts, this will protect them from direct heat, and the rendered fat will run down on to the vegagtbles and give them a wonderful flavor.
• Cover with foil and cook at 200c
• For the last 20 mins, remove foil and bacon to allow the skin to colour
• Rest for at least 10mins before cuttin
Special thanks: Chef Anthony Fletcher & The Food and Wine Academy (FWA)