225g/8oz apples, peeled, cored and cut into slices
(Granny Smiths, Coxes, Pink Lady etc)
150g/50z Hazelnuts roughly chopped
40g/1 1/2 oz caster sugar
finely grated rind and juice of 1 orange
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
2oz/50g wholemeal flour
2oz/50g dark muscavado sugar
25g /1oz blanched almonds finely chopped
1tsp oatmeal/Porridge oats
2oz/50g butter, cut into cubes
cream/ or good quality vanilla ice cream to serve.
- Turn oven on to 180C/350F/Gas 4
- Place caster sugar into a dry hot frying pan until it caramalises
- Throw in your chopped apples along with your orange rind and juice cook gently until apples are tender but still holding their shape (approx 5 mins)
- Remove from heat and poor into a tart tin, ready to receive the crumble layer on top
- Sift the plain flour into a bowl
- Add in the wholemeal flour ad the baking powder
- Stir in the muscavado sugar almonds, oatmeal and crushed hazelnuts.
- Rub in the butter until the mix resembles breadcrumbs
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the layer of apples in the tart tin and bake in the oven until the crumble is crisp and golden brown.